Students are responsible for the first 5-10 minutes of class. Plan on doing one "News and Views" this quarter. No written script will be collected (Relax!).
Dates will be assigned in class, be sure you know your date! (Write it in your planner, set a reminder on your phone, google alert, etc.)
IMPORTANT: You will be covering a scientific news article from the last 24 hours (or the weekend if your date is on a Monday)
You will also include an editorial/commentary - What did this article make you wonder? Did you agree or disagree with the author? Pose a question to the class- make us think!
- Be creative! Capture your audience's attention! Use props/visuals! Humor!
- Know your audience and appeal to them! Be persuasive!
- Organize your article on notecards - NEVER read directly from an article or newspaper clipping ...YIKES!
- Quality is better than quantity.
- Choose a high-interest Editorial/Commentary that will get students reacting!
- Speak slowly. Project your voice, Make good eye contact. Include transition words.
- Be/act confident! Have Fun!